(734) 641-6550
off

How yoga changed my life

By Courtney Conover – I had no idea that when I popped a VHS recording of Rodney Yee’s Yoga for Energy into my VCR back in 1998 that, over the course of several years, the gift of yoga would far exceed my wildest expectations and transform my life. Some background on...
Posted On 07 Oct 2019
off

Wayne-Westland makes superintendent transition

In a mutually-agreed upon resolution, the Wayne-Westland Community Schools Board of Education voted October 1 in a Special Session to end the School District’s administrative relationship with Superintendent Dr. Shelley Holt. The Board voted 7-0 to accept a resignation and...
Posted On 07 Oct 2019
off

“Have Gavel, Will Travel” justice comes to town

By Carolyn Marnon – “Have Gavel, Will Travel” found Michigan Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth T. Clement travelling from her home in East Lansing to the 29th District Court in Wayne August 14 and 15 to interact with people at the lower court level. The new initiative “is...
Posted On 15 Sep 2019
off

Tropical smoothie cafe opens in Wayne

By Carolyn Marnon – Bringing it’s relaxed coastal atmosphere to downtown Wayne, Tropical Smoothie Café opened August 9 in the Rite Aid plaza at the corner of Wayne Rd. and E. Michigan Ave (35131 E. Michigan Ave.) If you aren’t familiar with Tropical Smoothie Café, the...
Posted On 15 Sep 2019
off

Turning town teal yields survivor stories

By Carolyn Marnon – For the 7th year, Wayne will be turning teal with ribbons raising awareness of ovarian cancer. The teal ribbons will be placed throughout the city on September 1 by employees and friends of Independent Carpet One in Westland. Cathy Buchanan, co-owner,...
off

Bionic Zebras set goal to raise $15,000

By Carolyn Marnon – Team 313: The Bionic Zebras of Wayne Memorial High School have set what might seem like a lofty goal of raising $15,000 this year. This would cover competition entrance fees, the costs associated with designing, building and programming an...
Posted On 15 Sep 2019
off

Strong communities make for strong recovery

By Carolyn Marnon – National Recovery Month is a national observance held every September to educate Americans that substance use treatment and mental health services can enable those with a mental and/or substance use disorder to live a healthy and rewarding life. Tony...
Posted On 15 Sep 2019
off

Hall-of-fame hockey player subject of movie that will raise funds for Champions of Wayne program

By Carolyn Marnon – Champions of Wayne is partnering with Phoenix Theatres for the Annual Premier Red Carpet Fundraiser and an exclusive private screening of “Willie” on Wednesday, September 25. Tickets are $50 per person and are available at www.championsofwayne.org....

Volunteer painters being sought to help Friends

By Carolyn Marnon – Volunteers are being sought for the 23rd Annual Friends: People Helping People event in Wayne on Saturday, September 7. FPHP helps residents, usually elderly or disabled, to paint and spruce up the outside of their homes. Neighbors usually nominate a...
Posted On 25 Aug 2019
off

School Superintendent update

By Carolyn Marnon – Wayne Westland Community School District Superintendent Dr. Shelley Holt, who was put on paid administrative leave on June 20 pending an investigation into allegations made against her, filed a $2 million lawsuit against Wayne Westland Community Schools,...
Posted On 25 Aug 2019