(734) 641-6550
off

Final mass at St. Mary’s School brings tears

By Carolyn Marnon – The church was filled with children, young and old, as they all gathered to celebrate the final Mass at St. Mary Catholic School on June 6. The mass commemorated the school’s 94 year history and that of its dedicated administration, faculty and families....
Posted On 04 Jul 2018
off

A time to celebrate freedom

Darlene Hawley – This July 4th we will celebrate the Declaration of Independence for the 242nd time. On July 2, 1776, the Continental Congress of our thirteen colonies voted on a resolution declaring independence from the British. On July 4th, the Declaration of...
Posted On 04 Jul 2018
off

Community gathers for Derby’s Alley opening

Donors, stakeholders, and members of the community joined Wayne Main Street for the official opening of Derby’s Alley last month. The event was a celebration of the many renovations WMS has undertaken in the alleyway. These improvements include new benches, bistro tables, and...
Posted On 12 Jun 2018
off

June 2018 News Briefs

Outdoor game nights Join Wayne Main Street as they present Game Nights in Derby’s Alley (34924 W. Michigan Ave). You can bring your own games or choose from the selection of board and outdoor games WMS will have available. Learn a new game, challenge new opponents, swap...
Posted On 12 Jun 2018
off

Enter the Window on Wayne photo contest

Helium Studio is delighted to announce the 2018 “Window on Wayne” photography contest as part of the City of Wayne’s Downtown Days, July 12-14. This year’s theme is “Art-o-motive.” To honor the history of Wayne as it related to automobile companies, this...
Posted On 12 Jun 2018
off

Free bicycle tune-ups Saturdays in June

This June, Wayne Main Street (WMS) will be partnering with the Wayne Bicycle Club and Wayne Bicycle Shop to host three bicycle safety inspection events. The events will take place Saturdays in June from 12:00 (Noon)-4:00 p.m. running from June 13 – 30 at the Wayne Bicycle Shop,...
Posted On 12 Jun 2018
off

Ghost hunting: is it real?

By Carolyn Marnon – Friday the 13th. It can strike fear into anyone. Long considered an unlucky day in Western superstition, it has inspired a 19th century secret society (the Thirteen Club), an early 20th century novel (Friday the Thirteenth), a horror film franchise...
Posted On 12 May 2018
off

Building in Wayne makes local news

By Carolyn Marnon – “Danger: This structure is declared unsafe for human occupancy or use.” This is the red sign visible on the doors of the apartments located at 35732 and 35736 W. Michigan Ave. You might know the building-it’s the Tudor Revival that might remind you of a...
Posted On 12 May 2018
off

Experience the sauce

By Carolyn Marnon – “I’m not a store shelf sale to make money. I’m selling you something I created that I put my heart and soul into,” says Benjamin Welch, owner of Chili Sauce and Dogs, a local food truck. “It’s truly an art.” Who is Benjamin Welch? Benjamin is a 2003...
Posted On 12 May 2018
off

Call it a Comeback Beavers, wild turkeys now living along revitalized Rouge River

By Kurt Kuban – I began organizing Rouge Rescue in Wayne back in 2001. In the months leading up to that first river clean up, I was walking along the Rouge trying to figure out where to start. Everywhere you looked there was trash — shopping carts, tires and just...
Posted On 12 May 2018