(734) 641-6550

What’s old is new again

By Darlene Hawley – Three years ago I wrote an article for this paper about Wayne’s Historical Museum, the oldest public building still standing in Wayne and located in the heart of our community.  At one time Wayne was full of old historic buildings and homes rich in...

Celebrating 70 years of classic movie viewing

By Carolyn Marnon – The State Wayne Theatre is celebrating their 70th anniversary in 2016 after having proudly served the City of Wayne since 1946. It’s hard to miss the bright lights on the theatre at night, beckoning all to reflect on the movie-going experience of...

Main Street announces 2016 volunteer of the year

By Carolyn Marnon – Wayne Main Street held their 2nd annual Volunteer Appreciation Event last month at the State Wayne Theater. Volunteers were treated to free popcorn and pop while viewing a special documentary, “Urban Century,” about the changing face of downtowns over...

She wrote a novel in 30 days

By Carolyn Marnon – Writing wasn’t always her passion.  Hannah Gottman’s dad took her ice skating for fun.  By the time she was in 3rd grade, Hannah started skating regularly at the rink in Wayne. By 6th grade, ice skating became more intense for her as she started moving...

Inspiration, drive, determination: Journey to leadership

Story by Staff Sgt. Lance Pounds  (U.S. Army Africa) – VICENZA, Italy – In most tales of adventure, discovery or heroism the main character faces many challenges throughout his or her own journey. Good, bad, right or wrong, each choice he or she makes will ultimately...

Support your local community by shopping small

By Carolyn Marnon – Sure, you could go to those big box stores and do your holiday shopping. It might be easier to pick up a wide variety of things in that one stop.  With all the hardships Wayne is going through right now, wouldn’t it be nice to visit your local small...

$100,000! Take me out to the ball game!

By Carolyn Marnon – State Representative Robert Kosowski (D-Westland) presented a $100,000 check to the City of Wayne to help with development of the parks and recreation system.  “I am proud that I was able to bring home this money to my district,” Representative Kosowski...

Gave up New York and the world for Wayne

By Carolyn Marnon – Who gives up their jet-setter life to settle down in a quiet neighborhood in Wayne?  Jo Ann Hanson did.  She had an apartment in New York City and owned a rental property on Long Island.  She flew “up, up and away” up until ten years ago when she retired...

Her many angles make her a perfect choice

By Carolyn Marnon – Beverly Campbell has many different facets. These facets all come together to form this wonderful woman who was recently named Wayne’s 22nd Annual Diamond of the Community.  This award recognizes a Wayne resident who is over 70 and actively volunteering...

Funding will be used for park and recreational improvements

Last month, State Representative and Democratic Whip Robert Kosowski (D- Westland) presented checks to the cities of Westland and Wayne to help with development of the cities’ parks and recreation systems. “I am proud that I was able to bring home this money to my district,”...