(734) 641-6550

Family Fest 2014

The Classic Car Show at Family Fun Fest 2013.

The Classic Car Show at Family Fun Fest 2013.

For the ninth year CrossPointe Community Church, 36125 Glenwood, is ready to welcome 5,000 guests to their campus for their annual Family Fest. From 12-5 p.m. on Aug. 23 members of the church will provide a free day of family friendly fun for the entire community.
This includes free games, rides, music, hot foods, cold foods, drinks, and a classic car show. The kids will enjoy bounce houses, hayrides, petting zoo, face painting, crafts, pony rides and more.
“This is the largest single day event in the city,” said Pastor Phil DiLernia. They are planning for 5500 people.
When we started this I never thought we would get to that number,” he said. While the food and ride lines can get long, people have not complained.
Where else can you take the entire family to a summer festival and not spend a dime?
“It is quite the value for a good day of family fun,” DiLernia said.
All you have to do is get a wristband at the registration table and that allows you to eat the food, play the games and enjoy the other activities. If you have a classic car, please plan to join the fun. Registration starts at 8 a.m. and there is no fee. The first 500 cars will have spots on the field. There will be free goody bags, trophies and coffee for car show participants.
It costs about $15,000 to through Family Fest and about 80% of that comes from donations of parishioners. The other 20% is from local businesses that sponsor the event.
CrossPointe has about 250 members and 80-90% of them volunteer for Family Fest. Members of CrossPointe spend the entire year getting ready for Family Fest.
“It’s all hands on deck. I announce it every Sunday. It is a day we serve. It is a lot of work,” he said. “We do things for our families during the year.”
Family Fest has had a great impact on the CrossPointe community.
“We are attracting people to the church and it has had a great impact on the members of the church. They enjoy reaching out and it has given them the confidence to reach out in other ways,” DiLernia said.
Besides Family Fest CrossPointe is a very active church. They have been serving the community for more than 100 years. It was formerly First Baptist Church of Wayne.
They reach out every chance they get with community dinners, a clothes closet and food pantry to help the needy. They sponsor the Marshmallow Drop at Attwood Park on Good Friday. The youth group goes on mission trips and organizes free sports leagues like floor hockey and basketball for elementary students.
Their services are at 10:45 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Sundays. They also have multiple studies and activities during the week.
CrossPointe is located on Glenwood between Elizabeth and Newburgh. Parking will be available in the church parking lot and parking attendants will be on hand to help drivers. For more information on Family Fest visit www.crosspointecommunitychurch.org or go to Facebook.com/CrossPointeCommunityChurch.
“We are thankful the people love family fest. They respond to it. I am thankful our church is the facility we have,” DiLernia said. “I am very blessed to pastor the people I do.”

About the Author

Leave a Reply