By Carolyn Marnon – Downtown Days are returning to Wayne July 12-14. You can start planning a weekend of fun now with this info to get you started. All events are what is scheduled/planned at the time of this writing.
“Wayne Downtown Days is an important part of this revitalization of the City, bringing the community together for family friendly events,” said Paul Sposite, Knights of Columbus Deputy Grand Knight, Wayne Main Street Board Member and Wayne Downtown Days Board Member.
• Northside Hardware will be busy preparing hot dogs and cokes for their guests. For many years, the cost of a hot dog and small coke has been just 25¢. This special will be available during their sidewalk sales Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
• Come have strawberry shortcake at the 2nd annual Strawberry Shortcake Social from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Friday at Knights of Columbus and meet President Lincoln.
• Hot Cars and Hotcakes will be served at Harry J. Will Funeral Home on Saturday 10:00 a.m.-noon.
• Check out the free BBQ (while it lasts) at Wayne Bicycle Shop/ICON Computers on Saturday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. during the 1st Annual Bicycle Show.
• Free Paul McCartney Tribute Concert on Thursday (6:00 p.m.) at Knights of Columbus.
• Free Elvis Tribute Concert on Thursday (8:30 p.m.) and another one on Saturday (6:00 p.m.) at Knights of Columbus
• Free Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood Tribute Concert on Friday (6:00 p.m.) at Knights of Columbus
• Free Steve King and the Dittilies concert will be back for the 2nd year performing in Goudy Park Friday at 7:30 p.m.. There will be food and vendors including a petting farm sponsored by Powers Woodcrafts.
• Free Buddy Holly Tribute Concert on Friday (8:30 p.m.) at Knights of Columbus
• Not quite a concert, Village Dance & Company will be performing Saturday 4:15-4:45 p.m. in Derby’s Alley next to the recently closed GI Surplus.
• Free Michael Buble and Tanya Tucker Tribute Concert on Saturday (8:30 p.m.) at Knights of Columbus.
Voting continues for the Window on Wayne Photo Contest at Karma Coffee and Kitchen.
Voting ends Saturday with a reception at Karma Coffee and Kitchen.
• Radio station WYCD-FM will be onsite at Northside Hardware on Friday with concert ticket giveaways.
• Harmony Town Barbershop Quarter will be performing at the Wayne Historical Museum Saturday.
• There will be live music on the patio at US12 Bar and Grill Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
• The Vinyl Record Show and Sale will be making its 2nd appearance at Knights of Columbus during the three days of the event.
• Sidewalk sales will be going on at various businesses in downtown Wayne during all three days.
• Enjoy the Vendor/Small Business show going on at the Wayne Historical Museum on Saturday.
• The Makers Market will be going on in the parking lot behind Helium Studio on Saturday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
• Rusty Trike Flea Market will be Saturday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at Knights of Columbus
• Assorted vendors will be set up Saturday from 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at the Wayne Historical Museum.
Arts and Crafts
• The DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) will be back for a 2nd year bringing their free Drop-in Art Workshops outside the Knights of Columbus. Create an Uchiwa art project. Uchiwa is a particular style of paper fan that is common in Japan. Learn about the tradition of making uchiwa as you create a fan of your own. Hours are limited: 11 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday; 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m. Saturday.
• Come paint with Wayne Rocks at the Wayne Historical Museum from 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Saturday.
• Let your kids get their bouncies out in the Bounce House at Knights of Columbus on Friday, noon-5:00 p.m.
• Let the kids dress up as superheros/superkids at the costume contest being held on Friday at Knights of Columbus.
• The Wayne Historical Museum will be hosting activities (including rock painting with Wayne Rocks) for kids on Saturday.
• 313 Ghostbusters and Spiderman will be appearing LIVE at Knights of Columbus on Friday from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
Other ways you can participate
• A canned food drive will be going on at Knights of Columbus for the St. Mary’s Outreach Center in Wayne.
• Come play the Midway Games from noon-5:00 p.m. at Knights of Columbus. The games are free and there will be prizes.
• Set up some chairs along either side of W. Michigan Avenue and enjoy the US12 Cruise all day Saturday.
• Decorate your bicycle and enter it in the Wayne Bicycle Club’s 1st Annual Bicycle Show at Wayne Bike Shop/ICON Computers. Trophies for Custom, Classic Original and People’s Choice designs. The Bike Club will also be doing rides all day down Michigan Avenue.