(734) 641-6550

$100,000! Take me out to the ball game!

By Carolyn Marnon – State Representative Robert Kosowski (D-Westland) presented a $100,000 check to the City of Wayne to help with development of the parks and recreation system.  “I am proud that I was able to bring home this money to my district,” Representative Kosowski...

Gave up New York and the world for Wayne

By Carolyn Marnon – Who gives up their jet-setter life to settle down in a quiet neighborhood in Wayne?  Jo Ann Hanson did.  She had an apartment in New York City and owned a rental property on Long Island.  She flew “up, up and away” up until ten years ago when she retired...

Her many angles make her a perfect choice

By Carolyn Marnon – Beverly Campbell has many different facets. These facets all come together to form this wonderful woman who was recently named Wayne’s 22nd Annual Diamond of the Community.  This award recognizes a Wayne resident who is over 70 and actively volunteering...

Funding will be used for park and recreational improvements

Last month, State Representative and Democratic Whip Robert Kosowski (D- Westland) presented checks to the cities of Westland and Wayne to help with development of the cities’ parks and recreation systems. “I am proud that I was able to bring home this money to my district,”...

HYPE celebrates successes of their first year in Wayne

By Carolyn Marnon – HYPE celebrates successes of their first year in Wayne“Together, We Rise” is the theme of HYPE Recreation Center of Western Wayne as they celebrate one year in the old Wayne Rec Center building. HYPE CEO Ali Sayed spoke before the Wayne City Council...

Wayne resident wins national contest

By Carolyn Marnon – It came scrolling across the bottom of the TV screen during the season finale of Rock This Boat… “Congratulations to our Total Blockhead Grand Prize Winner-Jenny S. of Wayne, MI.” That is how I learned that Wayne resident Jenny Sexton had won a trip for...

Learning about SMORSA vote

By Carolyn Marnon – The second of four neutral information meetings about the upcoming South Macomb Oakland Regional Services Authority (SMORSA) issue on the August ballot was held on June 29 at the Wayne Public Library.  The room was filled with concerned residents who...

Neighborhood Watch discussed at community meeting

By Carolyn Marnon – The Wayne Police Department is being assisted by resident Bernadette Brock in getting the Neighborhood Watch program revitalized in the city.  Bernadette spoke to those who gathered at the June 30 meeting held at the police station.  The program would be...

Lt. Puckett to retire on father’s birthday

By Carolyn Marnon – When Lt. Rob Puckett was hired at the Wayne Police Department 21 years ago, there were 45 officers. Today, there are only 21 officers and the workload has not changed in the past 21 years. Although he loves his job and doesn’t want to leave, Lt....

There’s a new little library in downtown

By Carolyn Marnon – There’s a new Little Free Library in Wayne, and it’s waiting for you to visit.  Located at the First United Methodist Church, 3 Town Square, the latest addition to the collection of little libraries around town was conceived of by Linda Maylone, a member...